Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) play an important role in most pipeline operations, midstream companies, E&P companies, and production companies.
SOPs create universal processes for measurement professionals and support personnel to follow in the field, in the control room, and in the back office. The goal is to achieve accuracy, reliability, and safety through the proper use of SOPs to dictate actions.
If you are currently using SOPs — whether generated by Gas Certification Institute (GCI) or drafted in-house — you should consider measurement training for key personnel to ensure complete understanding.
Why Do Measurement Professionals Need Measurement Training?
Personnel in your operation or company need to gain confidence in their ability to follow the SOP guidelines.
Each SOP manual includes a standard set of guidelines and requirements, QA inspection procedures, control evidence, forms, and applicable federal regulations. Personnel should have a firm understanding of the elements within each of these categories.
Then, each manual includes chapters that follow the Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) standard for accurate and reliable measurement.
– For Gas Measurement, sample chapters include guidelines on orifice meters, EFM, sampling, chromatographs, Coriolis meters, turbine meters, ultrasonic meters, and PD meters.
– For Liquid Measurement, sample chapters include guidelines on EFM for NGLs and crude, turbine meters, crude sampling, NGL sampling, tank sales points, LACT/ACT, Coriolis meters, and portable dew point testers.
What’s the Benefit of Receiving Measurement Training?
It’s not enough to just have Standard Operating Procedures to support your operation or company. Your personnel need a clear understanding of how the SOPs apply directly to their role so that they can perform critical tasks with confidence.
When personnel have confidence in their role, they will better support the key elements of your operation:
- Safety procedures are properly followed in the field
- Accurate measurement data is collected
- Back office personnel are better able to verify data
- Control room personnel can achieve situational awareness
- Contracts with third-parties are protected
- Legal risk and exposure is reduced
- Higher efficiency is achieved to generate a greater ROI
Consider GCI to Train Personnel on the Fundamentals of Measurement
Many operators and companies do not have the time, resources, or in-house staff to provide accurate training that supports SOPs.
Since 2000, Gas Certification Institute has trained measurement professionals and support personnel on the fundamentals of measurement. We help oil and gas professionals return to their role with confidence to follow the standards for gas, liquid, and crude measurement.
One of the added benefits of working with GCI is that all of your measurement professionals and support personnel can be trained at one time during a class. We gladly work with measurement supervisors and managers to assess the members of your team that should receive training for their specific role.
To inquire about registering your team for one of our upcoming fundamental training courses, please contact us today. We would like to help your team gain confidence in their ability to follow the SOPs for your operation or company.